Thursday, July 15, 2010

AND THE WINNER IS. . . .

MNCARLSSON is the new winner. Please send me a wish list of five or more LDS books from your wish list and your mailing address. Please send it to bhansen22 at msn.com and be sure to put something in your subject line so that I'll know it's from you.

So let's go with a pioneer theme for the next contest. I just read and loved Escape to Zion by Mathews, Gerald Lund's Work and The Glory series changed a lot of lives and his more recent work concerning the Hole in the Rock expedition is a remarkable story of faith and endurance. In the Company of Angels by David Wolverton won a Whitney award a few months ago. Tristi Pinkston also wrote about the Hole in the Rock, Laurel Mouritsen has written a pioneer saga. My Bracelet series honors those who came from different countries or mindsets to the pioneer scene. I'm sure you can think of many more. I'd love to hear which pioneer stories have touched you and why.

Same rules as before.

7 comments:

Britt said...

I think I've read the Work and the Glory books a good 4 times.... maybe even more, honestly. :)

Haven't read his newest yet, though. Want to, just haven't gotten there yet....

Heidi said...

My ward just went on trek in Wyoming. to prepare I read many books on the handcart pioneers. The one I enjoyed the most was Gerald Lund's Fire of the Covenant and his newest book the Undaunted.

Another one that really touched me about the handcart pioneers is Through Deepening Trials By Robert H. Moss

Robin said...

I have love the Work and the Glory series because my husbands family are from this pioneer heritage era and the stories help one to understand the history better.

Elizabeth Morgan said...

I read work and the glory it is the best. Gerald Lund does so good with his books. They are amazing. I absolutely love Historical fiction or History of any kind.

Jolynn_Reads said...

I love stories about pioneers. It helps me to endure the backpain & other problems in my life.
Charolette Clark is an ancestor of mine, she was in the First Handcart company.
I really liked the Work & The Glory. I would like to make a list of those mentioned, to read sometime.

Deanna said...

I have read several books about the early Church members, The Work and The Glory series and a series set in Nauvoo years ago. But any time I read about the Martin-Willie Handcart companies, even just a paragraph, it touches a special place in my heart. They must have been very special people to endure what they did and still speak out against those who criticized the Church because of the problems they had.

Anonymous said...

My favorite story is of my ancestor who left her father to cross the ocean and move on with the mormons. She was able to take her sister with her after her father reluctantly gave her permission. She had to leave everything because she wanted something eternal.

My dad told me that story along time ago, but I still love it.

-Leah-