Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Memorable Christmas

This Christmas turned out to be a memorabe Christmas for our family.  Our oldest grandson is engaged.  His fiance and her little brother spent Cristmas Eve with us, bringing our Christmas Eve family celebration to twenty-five.  We enjoyed good food, the grandchildren presented the nativitypageant, and all of our little piano players shared a Christmas carol with us.  Opening presents (we open family Christmas presents on Christmas Eve, leaving Santa's bounty to reign on Christmas morning in our children's individual homes) was as usual wildly chaotic, but there seemed to be something sweeter about just being together.  Christmas morning we attended one of the most touching Christmas services ever.

When our first two grandchildren were small, we started taking a picture of the grandchildren on our stairs on Christmas Eve.  The number of children on the stairs has grown over the years and this year we added three new ones---our grandson's fiance and her little brother and our precious new granddaughter were added this year.  Getting thirteen children ranging from ten months to twenty-one to sit still for a picture is a challenge.  Finally I said if they'd sit nicely for a few pictures they could act as silly as they wanted for one.  This is what I got:

The December Wish List contest is drawing to a close.  Only those who post comments this month are eligible to win a book of their choice.  To begin with I limited the contest to those who shared a Christmas memory.  I'm broadening that requirement to include those who wish to share a snippet of this Christmas.  The contest ends Dec. 31 so comment on as many of this month's blogs or reviews (on Meridian) as you wish.  Each comment is an entry.

4 comments:

violettes said...

How wonderful to have your family together! That is such a blessing. I've always been envious of those who live close enough to family to share holidays. Maybe someday...

Unknown said...

We celebrated Christmas Eve on Friday this year with our extended family. We did mostly what ew do every year, dinner, talents, Santa reading t eChristmas story from Luke, and baring his teatimony, Followed by his giving a gift to each child. And exchanging handmade gifts betweeen the adults.What made this Christmas different was a special presentation by my aunt. She found the blessing dresses my Grandma made for , my mom and my 2 aunts, and had them cleaned and restored for my couson, and my sister &I. They are hand sewn, embroidered and the edging was hand crocheted.
We all cried, but it was really exciting to have something my grandma made over 80 years ago.

taylorfamily83316 said...

This year Christmas seemed like it took no time at all to get here, and I say that because for gifts to family and friends I handmade cross stitched ornaments for everyone, and not just one or two but entire sets for each. So, Christmas started back in March sometime. My worry from the beginning had been concerning those who I thought might not like them or appreciate the time, the love, and the effort that went into each one. But for the most part, I was surprised at the positive response that I received from almost everyone. So much so, I have started on new sets, but initially they are only for a few family members and friends. Maybe one day I will make some for my little family! Thank you for sharing some of your Christmas memories, old and new with us!

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to have family together for christmas! I was blessed to be able to have my mom with me this whole Christmas Break. We had a lot of fun and she taught me how to sew. This Christmas with my family has been the best ever even though we had or ups and downs. :) I love them.