Saturday, November 21, 2020

Gratitude

 As I've pondered the many things I'm grateful for I find myself remembering my mother and her flower gardens. We moved frequently, yet no matter where we lived Mama planted flowers. I grew up surrounded by lilacs, roses, sweet peas, chrysanthemums, daisies, bleeding hearts, geraniums, petunias, pansies, and dozens of other flowers. I learned to appreciate their beauty, their smell, and the hard work they symbolized to provide a spot of beauty no matter what might surround them. She taught me to look for wild flowers in the mountains and in the deserts. From her I came to appreciate houseplants for their splash of color and promise of life no matter how dreary the winter.  I'm thankful for the lesson she taught me through her flowers. No matter how much ugliness there is in the world, there are also flowers. Because of her I too plant flowers around my house and my dining room looks like a greenhouse. My sisters too are known, far and wide, for their lovely gardens. Today as a mark of gratitude for the beauty God provides and my mother instilled an appreciation for in me I'm posting some photos of my flower beds and some of the flowers I've raised and enjoy.





No comments: