Saturday, January 3, 2009

Off to a new year

As I've said before, I'm not much for New Year's resolutions, but there's something about a brand new year that seems to fill my heart with optimism for new and better things. On a personal level, this year looks good. All of my children and grandchildren are now back living in Utah which means more oportunities to do fun things together. I have two books set for release this year; one (High Country) is hitting the book stores this coming week and the other is slated for August. A friend who works in the Clinton Seagull Book Store let me know yesterday that High Country has already arrived at the Clinton store and that she helped unpack it. I'm enjoying serving in the Jordan River Temple and looking forward to the dedication of the Oquirrh Mountain temple, probably in June.

On a broader scale, the world looks a little scary with wars in the Middle East, political corruption, economic problems, activist antics, pseudo science, absence of moral values, and a general dismissal of the reality of God. There's never been a time when resolutions to be found in holy places have been more pertinent.

For more years than I care to admit to, I've vowed to lose X number of pounds. I'm not doing that anymore, I'm only going to set short term goals. I'm going to try to lose just half a pound this week. If that works I'll take on next week. The only long term goal I plan to make is to be more grateful for the good things in my life. As for the rest, and maybe in a twisted way this is a long term goal or new year's resolution, I'm going to make daily, weekly, or even monthly goals to improve myself, accomplish tasks, and serve where the Lord wants me to serve.

No comments: