Monday, November 24, 2008

This n' That

No book signings this past weekend, but I'm gearing up for the two days after Thanksgiving. I'll be headed south the day after Thanksgiving to three different Seagull stores, Provo East Bay from 11-12, Provo 12:30 to 1:30, and Orem North from 2 to 3 p.m. And I won't be alone. Betsy Brannon Green and Michele Bell will be signing with me. The three of us will be signing our new Christmas book The Spirit of Christmas as well as our most recent individual books, that's The Ruby for me. The next day I'll be in Ogden from 11-noon.

Though I didn't visit any book stores this past weekend, it was a hectic busy weekend helping my daughter and her family move into their new home. The movers arrived with their furniture right on schedule and we began unpacking and deciding where things should go. One of the hardest things for me was throwing away the stacks and stacks of packing paper. (The moving company will collect it to receycle) When I was a child I would have been thrilled to have those huge sheets of plain white paper to write or draw on. Money was a scarce commodity for my family back then and paper for kids' artistic pursuits wasn't high on the family priority list. We had to make do with grocery bags, the backs of letters arriving in the mail or school papers that had been graded and returned, and every other piece of paper no longer needed but sporting a few inches of usable space. These past few days have also included a hair cut and an eye exam--one of those things booked months ahead.

Our house seems quiet now, but it won't be for long. Thanksgiving is just two days away and four of our children and their families will be here for dinner. That means lots of cleaning, shopping, cooking and getting ready. My house will be full of noise, laughter, and good smells again. Here's wishing all of you a wonderful holiday filled with family, a yummy dinner, and quiet moments to reflect on your many blessings.

No comments: